I started a project “GECET” with the aim to get it done by using the API of DRUPAL 6. The project is still going on because recently I have been asked to add some new features.
About the project :
The NGO Chaine de l’Espoir TOGO wants to have a better local managing system for children they are in charge of. They want to keep biography details about the children. There is a need to know how much is spent on children for their health the whole year. They have to better master the different ‘packs’ (food, clothes, etc.) the children receive.
– 95 tables
– Drupal 6.15
– Custom theme based on whitejazz
Main Contributed Modules used :
– Administration Menu
– (Devel) not in production instance
New modules coded (17)
– Search module
– Medical information management, School fees management, Statistiques ‘Special features’ not well done with drupal contributed modules
– Budget management
What can I say about using the API of Drupal and contributed modules for building a web application ?
= Pros …
– Drupal Form_API made things very easy for the developper
– You can through the administration UI add some cool fun feature (an edit or delete link on a view for example) the user by your side 🙂
– The hook system is really awesome
= Cons …
– It’s not easy for a beginner to get his hands quickly dirty but with a good teacher it’s possible
– Trying to use CCK to create some content types cost a lot because useless tables/data are kept
More details will published from time to time